Wednesday evening I went home to Altona to spend some time with Piper and Keith. I arrived back at NICU at about 2:00 pm on Thursday and Kiera was sitting in a bouncer looking at the toys hanging from it. I didn't even notice that her NG tube had been removed until several minutes later.
The nurse explained that she noticed a problem with the NG tube and asked that Kiera's esophageal study be done one day earlier. The tests revealed that Kiera's esophagus had healed nicely and that she no longer needed the NG tube. Now, Kiera is in for some hard work -- she has to learn how to suck, swallow, and breath in rhythm. Essentially, Kiera has to learn how to eat. Today was tough going for her. I believe the barium solution that she had to swallow is tough on her gastrointestinal system. The cramping and gas from the solution caused a lot of discomfort and made her tired and hard for her to learn to eat. I'm hoping that she has some success with eating after a good sleep tonight.
The sooner she eats/drinks, the sooner Kiera can come home!
Thanks again to all who have had Kiera in their thoughts and prayers. Thanks, as well, for all the wonderful gifts! Keith, Piper, and I are so grateful for wonderful colleagues, friends, and family.

12 comments:
Great news! Go Kiera Go!
Great news Brenda, yeah Kiera! She's showing everyone early what she's made of. Courage, strength and all that good stuff (kind of like her mom and dad).
L. Ang
So great to see her without the attachments! She is looking very good! We continue to stand by you with in this journey.
Ang and Byron
Kiera is looking so great! At the rate she is progressing, she will be at home with you in no time! Keep up the great work Kiera!
is it just me or does she totally look like Piper in this picture?
Kathleen
Brenda kiera is the most addorable little baby ever I can't wait till she can come home so that I can hold her and would you please give her a kiss for me and a hug and tell her that her aunt loves her
thanks Carla
God is an awesome God. Thank you for answering prayers.
Great News! So glad she is progressing well. Such a tough little chickie.
GREAT TO SEE HER WITHOUT TUBES. lOVE OMA AND OPA.
God is our strength and a great miracle worker. We take our healthy children and grandchildren so for granted and this just proves that we are not in control but God has also put educated caregivers in your fight for Kiera's health. Take care and we'll enjoy Piper here whenever we can. Love and hugs to you all, Bill and Debbie.
Wonderful news. Look forward to having you all at home. Lots of love.
Shawn & Carole Tarnick & family.
Fantastic! She looks so peaceful.
Post a Comment