This morning it was back to HSC to let the doctors keep trying to figure this thing out. Kiera went to the hospital on Friday to check in and came home Friday evening and stayed home for the weekend. Over the weekend she developed a cough and stuffy nose. This afternoon at the hospital we noticed she had a fever and turns out she has an ear infection in both ears. This is pretty common in babies that have reflux so we weren't totally surprised. They are starting antibiotics now and she should be feeling better tomorrow.
This morning at our meeting with the doctors we reported that the polycose they were adding to her feed was not making anything better so they are going back to the corn starch today but at a lower dose per feed so hopefully her system can handle it. All the research shows that corn starch is what fixes it so we just have to find the correct amount to add to slow her digestion down.
We also pushed the doctors a bit and asked where the experts in this field are and it turns out that all the research in this area was done some 20 years ago so there is no place that is considered expert in this. Normally dumping is relatively easily fixed with adjusting the feeding rates and adding corn starch. Kiera unfortunately is not falling into that "easily fix" category.
On Friday we got some blood work back and her insulin levels were high so they did an ultrasound of her pancreas and the ultrasound came back perfect, no pancreas issues. They did another blood test on Friday as well to recheck her insulin levels, but that test result has not come back yet.
Kiera (and Brenda) are back at HSC and will be for a few days. The doc's all agree that if no testing is going on then she is free to come home on passes so I expect they will be home on Wednesday evening again and likely to have to check in again on Friday.
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers
5 comments:
Yay for no pancreas issues!!!
Hope the antibiotics kick in and she is feeling better soon!
Take care,
S
Hi B:
I hadn't checked your blog in awhile, so was unaware of the latest trauma. I will be in on Wed., need to see someone in Riverview first in order to meet with his doctors, but shall be around the aft. and try to find you.
Little Esme was in church on Sunday, and appears to be filling out.
I remember polycose and corn starch. I used to feed them to Talitha in order to keep her weight up after she broke her jaw.
Ok, see you soon, love and prayers,
L.
Hi Revles,
Keith and Kiera are in hospital for the day today. Keith is pushing for a discharge until after Kiera's fundoplication surgery (to correct her hiatal hernia and curb her reflux). We still don't have any real answers as to why Kiera is having pain during feeding other than she likely has an endocrine problem. I will be updating the blog later this evening.
Bren,
I missed you, got there late, faced rush hour etc etc. But I get up to see Tom every two days, so shall be up again this week,(and I'm around this summer) so I'll check the blog next week and see when you're back.
Shall keep you in prayers this sunny Sunday in Church. Wow, it's hot in here, sermon may be shorter. Ha ha.
Love,
L.
Thanks, L. As you can see, I did not update the blog yet. I'm in the process of writing it but have not finished. Too many nice weather days.
Post a Comment