Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Children's Hospital 48-hour pass

Unfortunately, cornstarch was not the answer.  Most babies pass the cornstarch lumps along with diarrhea.  By the time a person is aged one or two, the enzyme necessary for the digestion of cornstarch is produced by the body. Because every person is different, the plan was to see if cornstarch would work for Kiera.  It didn't -- Kiera literally passed lumps of cornstarch, so weird.  So we are now adding a modified cornstarch product, called polycrose, to her special (and expensive) formula called Neocate.  Poking her 10 times per day for blood sugar checks is also not fun.

Kiera is home on a 48-hour pass for Piper's birthday.  We will return for Friday morning with data (we have to keep extensive records of her feeding amounts and times, vomiting and sweating episodes, and the blood sugar checks).  We will then listen to what the doctors have to say and hopefully return home on another pass.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  We are hanging in there and attempting to take it one day at a time.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

If I didn't have sleeping kids, I would come to your house and give you a giant hug. You are going to get through this.

Brenda Stoesz said...

Thanks, Rachel. I feel the hug.

Stephanie Friesen said...

I cannot imagine your frustration. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help make things a little easier.

You are one strong mama.

Post a Comment