I woke up this morning feeling a little nervous. Today is Day 1 of Kiera's tube weaning. Yesterday, we planned how this would go. We decided that Kiera would receive her regular breakfast at 7:00 am, 160 ml of formula. First we offer the bottle and a bit of pureed fruit. Kiera tasted bananas for the first time today and she seemed to enjoy them but I didn't push her to eat more. Just a taste is enough.
We are always concerned that Kiera's esophagus is closing. She did not burp after her breakfast tube-feed so I was worried. Well, about an hour later, she did burp a little through her mouth and then about 1/2 after than, vomited. I guess the esophagus is open.
We have designated her mid-morning meal as oral only which means that she will be offered something orally and will not be topped up with a tube feeding. To our surprise this morning, Kiera had several spoons of bananas and oatmeal prepared with formula (see picture). Not surprisingly, she did not accept the bottle. This tends to happen with tube fed kids -- they will eat food but the liquids are often tricky and require more practice.
Kiera will receive 3 more tube-feedings today. They will always be preceded by the offering of the bottle and some pureed fruit and oatmeal. It should be an interesting day.

3 comments:
I love seeing the bubbles come out of K's mouth! Wishing you continued patience and optimism.
~Gina L.
Day one didn't go exactly as planned. At one point the feeding tube disconnected and we are not sure how much Kiera got during that feeding. Kiera also did not accept anymore food or the bottle. Here's to hoping that tomorrow will go a little more smoothly.
Thinking of you and hoping for a better day tommorow! Riley's tube disconnects every once in a while on us too. Keep up the good work:)
Cheryl Unrau
Post a Comment