Feeding therapy is a slow process. It's only the start of Day 3 of trying to get her to drink and it already feels like it will never happen. It feels hopeless and we are very tired. I spent most of yesterday evening in tears - its a very emotional thing to experience.
Yesterday, Kiera skipped a feeding. Normally, she has six feedings a day. We begin at 7 am and by 10 pm she is in her bed ready for the night. Now, because we want her to feel hungry and motivated to suck (at least on the soother), we waited for her to give us clear signs that she wanted her tummy full. By 10:30 pm last night, Kiera only had five feedings and I was certain that I would have to feed her in the middle of the night.
To my surprise, she was still sleeping at 7:15 am this morning. I heard her gag a couple of times around 5 am but there was no crying so I assumed she went back to sleep. I don't know if that gagging was reflux or the NG tube pushing on the back of her throat. I'm assuming it was the latter.
Today should be an interesting day, as we know that Kiera did not have all her feeds yesterday. Will she be hungrier today? Here's hoping for the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment