Wednesday, April 28, 2010

No progress

Kiera has not taken anything from the bottle since Sunday.  Yesterday, I did try giving her peaches again which she enjoyed but she was frustrated that the peaches did not come fast enough.  She started fussing and I couldn't calm her to give her more.  We also started her on a new reflux medication (lansoprozole or Prevacid) because the omeprazole (Prilosec) was already ineffective.  Both drugs easily break down and become ineffective after 3-5 days when mixed in a solution that can be put into an NG tube.  I noticed on Tuesday morning that Kiera was having pain from reflux and so it was time to change to the fast dissolving tablets.  Unfortunately I have to hold the tablet in Kiera's mouth until the particles are small enough that she doesn't choke on them when she swallows her saliva.  The good thing is that I only need to administer it to her once per day.

Kiera burped and vomited this morning and her NG tube stayed in.  Normally, the vomiting part would not be considered a good thing but it lets me know that her esophagus is still open enough that she can still swallow her saliva.  The swallow study tomorrow will show whether the esophagus is narrowing at the anastomosis (the esophageal repair site) and will also show whether Kiera has other issues with swallowing.  Hopefully, the study will show that she is physically capable of swallowing.  Tomorrow can not come fast enough.

2 comments:

Angela Loeppky said...

Your friends will be here so don't feel that you're repeating the same story. We care about all that you're going through and don't ever feel that we're not ready to listen. Hope you get answers and support tomorrow during the swallow study.

Unknown said...

We're praying for you guys....what else can I say....

Post a Comment