Friday, December 3, 2010

Gastroesophageal reflux is back

After chatting with another mom with a son who was born with esophageal atresia, I realized that the most recent symptoms that Kiera was experiencing were not simply those associated with a cold but was something else.  It turns out that Kiera was suffering from reflux once again.  Over the past few nights, Kiera (who normally sleeps 12-13 hour nights) was waking up gagging and vomiting and crying.  The gagging/vomiting are usually a morning event that serves to clear out her esophagus of saliva/mucus that has built up overnight.  And typically, the morning mucus clearing episode lasts about 10-15 minutes but lately, it was taking up to an hour.  And all that crying and extra mucus was worrisome.

The recommendation from the doctors is that we start Kiera on her reflux medication again and after three doses we have seen a huge improvement in the amount of mucus she spits out.  The gagging/retching and occasional vomiting have not stopped but she is less stressed by the episodes and does not cry.  Then Kiera goes back to playing.

The picture above is not a great one because I took it so fast.  I noticed that Kiera had her fingers in her mouth today.  I can't remember the last time (or if she ever) put her fingers in her mouth so this was an event that had to be recorded.  I tried to get a better picture and even said to Kiera, "Kiera, can you put your fingers in your mouth?".  And, she did!  I couldn't believe it and clicked away, but my camera was set on a dumb mode and the picture came out even worse.

So even though the reflux is back, the medicine made her feel better almost instantly and she even made a small step to overcoming her oral aversion.  I couldn't be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment