Monday, October 4, 2010

A New Eye

On Monday Kiera's ocularist created a new prosthetic eye cup for Kiera.  This process is fairly traumatic for Kiera.  Creating the eye first involves making an impression of the space in her eye socket. This is done under sedation and, in Kiera's case, was done during her dilatation surgery on September 24.  Then (while conscious) a wax model is created from the impression and is placed in the eye socket and checked for fit. From that a plastic eye cup is made with white plastic with veins, arteries, iris, and pupil painted on. Each of these steps require a fit check. Fortunately, Kiera only had to endure three checks for fit.  The result is what you can see on the right (see her right eye, your left on the screen).


Kiera (and Piper, Keith, and me) is battling a cold.  This is making her retching much worse than usual, but fortunately, she has not been vomiting as much.  I have a feeling of what she is going through because my cold has me suffering with a dry cough that at times throws me into a coughing fit.  Yesterday, I coughed so much that my gag reflex was triggered and I started dry heaving and then vomiting.  My head was pounding after this and my stomach muscles are so sore.  Kiera goes through this 5 to 10 times a day.  It sucks.


Kiera does seem to making gains in the swallowing department.  I made beef stew yesterday and she accepted the spoon 5 times.  Yippee!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are all over your colds. What a lovely picture of a happy girl! ~Gina

Post a Comment